UK Department for Business, Innovation and Skills to provide £18 million to get Worcester Technology Park off the ground



Technology park saved from axe by the council

Friday 28th September 2012

By Tom Edwards

Worcester News

WORCESTER Technology Park is going to be saved from collapse after council chiefs agreed to accept £18 million from the Government to get it off the ground.

Worcestershire County Council said it was determined to make the flagship project a reality despite Worcester Bosch pulling out as the main anchor business.

The council’s cabinet agreed to take a conditional offer of £17.8 million to launch the park, and insisted new firms will be found to move there.

During a meeting yesterday, bosses said it was “the absolute key to future prosperity, jobs and wealth” in the county.

The site is forecast to create up to 3,000 jobs, but its future was thrown into doubt earlier this month following Worcester Bosch’s U-turn.

Councillor David Thain, a cabinet member, said: “While the Worcester Bosch decision was disappointing, it is part of the ebb and flow of business.

“But our commitment to this venture remains as strong as ever.” Councillor Simon Geraghty, deputy leader and cabinet member for the environment and infrastructure, said: “This is a significant project for the county and we continue to support the park despite Worcester Bosch pulling out.”

The cash offer from the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills requires an external assessment over the next six months to determine the council has the means to make the park project successful.

Click here for full article in Worcester News





Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.